From:
Donna Ron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:14:26 +0200
Relating to the discussion of how we relate to mothers around their informed
choice to breastfeed, I  think we need to remember that the baby is affected
by this choice.  Medical ethics and medical law deal with the issue of
decisions made by those that need to consider the best interest of a person
who will be affected by a choice but cannot make that choice themselves.
However, as far as I know the literature does not mention the situation of
the mother/baby dyad regarding the decision to breastfeed.

Much discussion and even court cases have taken place regarding the issue of
a pregnant mother smoking and the effects that this has on her fetus.

I did a research study at my local hospital some years ago measuring the
impact of in-hospital breastfeeding support on the initiation and duration
of breastfeeding.  In the initial interview of over 200 mothers, 96% said
they wanted to breastfeed their babies.

This is a rich and complex issue.  It is also one for which the real issues
are not as clear and conscious as they might be.

Donna Ron

Donna Ron, MHA, IBCLC
Israel
HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]