From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 08:35:22 +1000
Hi Roni and Lactnetters,
     Roni, could I ask you for clarification?  You gave instructions for "2 drops under tongue" three times p.d.  Under whose tongue?  I assume you mean the mother's?  I'd be wary of putting any essential oils in a baby's mouth, unless I had some really good studies to back up the safety.
     Some other essential oils can be useful in stubborn cases of thrush.  They can be used as a wash to dab on nipples or other affected skin areas, to soak fingers or feet in (for nailbed infections), or as a gargle or mouthwash for ADULT cases of oral thrush.  The ones I use are:
            3 - 5 drops tea-tree oil
            2 - 3 drops of lavender oil
            500 mls (or 1 pint) warm water
Either oil can be used on its own, too, espec. if the person doesn't like one of them.  If there is tinea, I usually suggest using the bath or shower for foot baths of the above.  This helps treat the bath or shower bowl, as well as the feet.  Having one or two footbaths a day, as well as using Clotrimazole, seems to help clear up persistent cases, so long as treatment continues till about two weeks after all signs of the infection have gone
     Of course, it pays to check out all possible sites of thrush, to prevent reinfectation.  *Recent* examples I've seen have been:  ringworm on the outer thigh (just when a hand would naturally rest while sitting); a patch of scaly skin on the arm which a client found was fungal; infected nailbed of finger.  Other sites I see form time to time: a pinkish or flaky rash in the fold under the breasts, tinea, angular chelitis (blistery rash in corners of mouth).  I tactfully check out "jock itch" in the male partner by showing a picture.  I also show pictures of tinea, which has been helpful in having mothers *remember*.  I believe that why some cases of nipple thrush are so persistent is because of not treating for long enough and/or the pingpong effect, back and forth between sites.  Other cases may persist because of not scalding the bra cups or not using disposable breast pads (or not boiling cloth ones).
    Occasionally a dirty-looking brown area, when it isn't due to lack of cleanliness, may prove to be fungal if it responds to topical application of Clotrimazole.  Instances which I and a colleague have seen have been on adult's elbows, mother's nipples, mother's upper back.  These are unusual.
    While writing this, it occurred to me that in taking the case history, especially where fungal infections are persistent, a long shot might be to ask if there is any history of diabetes mellitus in the family, and follow on from there.
    Anyway, Roni, please would you clarify the point about the oil of oregano?
         Happy New Year.
                      Virginia
                       Virginia Thorley
                       Brisbane (and a lovely, fine day)