From:
Heidi Ann Koslo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:22:35 -0900

Debbie . I am so glad I didn't delete my digest as I often skim the topics
and then do so . but I caught this . I am in my first semester of nursing
school . I thought we initially had pts hold their neck normally or
neutrally (i.e. extension), then flexion while having them sip from a straw
and swallow as the NG tube goes down (actually, I am trying to figure out
how you would have an infant do this), and then extension again . if they
need to tip their head back, isn't that hyperextension? Or is it only
hyperextension if they've bent it as far back as it can go (about 10
degrees)?

The point I was really commenting on re: the LACTNET discussion, about
elevating the head (which I have all my PG moms do in my BF class - they
must drink from a cup and talk about how their body is positioned to drink
comfortably) is that it might be a basic nursing concept to promote easier
swallowing. But (and I'm sure you see it too) then I have a mom who is
struggling with position/latch, and it turns out the nurses had her holding
the infant so the infant's chin is tucked down to it's chest so it's neck is
flexed instead of hyperextended (or elevated).  So, this "basic nursing
concept" flies out the window as nurses revert to the bottle-feeding
position with baby tucked way back in the elbow.

Thanks for the tip on the "trick" NCLEX question . I like it. Any more tips
are greatly appreciated (I am up here in nursing school in the frozen North
. Wasilla, home of the Iditarod).

DEBBIE WROTE:

Heidi,

    Basic insertion of an ng tube involves this  concept.  If you need to

feed a patient this concept comes into play, and  also when dealing with

respiration issues.  It is one of the basic trick  questions on the NCLEX
exams.

Often they will use flex the patient's  head, instead of elevate to see if
you are

reading the question  correctly.

Debbie Albert, RN, Ph.D., LMHC, IBCLC, RLC

Tampa Lactation  Counseling

Tampa, FL

In a message dated 3/3/2006 1:32:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

[log in to unmask] ( <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
mailto:[log in to unmask])  writes:

>From  another post: "ALL nurses learn that patients swallow better when
head

is  elevated than flexed-this is a basic nursing concept." Which is  funny,

because I'm in nursing school and so far this hasn't been emphasized  ...

Heidi Koslo, IBCLC, RLC

907-376-2829