From:
Regine Gresens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:40:52 +0200
Dear Lactnetter ,
I'm a midwife and german lactation consultant IBCLC from Hamburg Germany.

I am counceling a mother of a baby girl, now 10 days old, with a metabolic
defect of the breakdown of Leucine in the 5. step. This child is missing
3-Hydroxymethylcrotonyl-CoA-lyase and is therefore supposed to have a
special Leucinefree formula, but could accordingly to her doctors get about
150ml of her mother's milk. The mother is very much committed to
breastfeeding.

Now I'm trying to set up a plan for her to partialy breastfeed her baby.
Thanks to Jack Newman, I already got quite a good approach by using a
lactaid.
But to account the daily allowance of breastmilk I need to know some things
for sure.
When searching the Lactnet-Archives for Leucine all I came up with was an
early note from the 20th Oct 1998 by Rachel Lessen on "Maple sugar urin
disease"..
In her note she gave some figures (40-100 mg/kg/day for 0-6 months) for the
limit for leucine intake.

For I would like to use these figures to account the allowed daily intake
of mother's milk to discuss this with the pediatrician I need to know where
those figures are from. But unfortunately I can't find this numbers in any
of my books, nor the archives or medline. Also I don't get an answer by
Rachel Lessen herself, I don't know, maybe her eMail-address has changed
since then.

Therefore I would very much appreciate if anyone of you knowledgeable
people over there could mail me the source of the leucine limits by private
eMail.

TIA from Germany,
Regine Gresens
---