Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:40:58 +0000
I have referred these babies to pediatric physical therapists who work with the babies and give mothers exercises to do at home which helps tremendously.   This is just an observation, but I wonder if babies with T-T and other midline issues compensate with positioning that aggravates a subtle underlying muscle weakness on one side that becomes apparent as time goes by.  In an oro-motor conference I attended several years ago, the therapist mentioned unilateral oral motor weakness or strength imbalance as being a cause of sore nipples.  These babies benefit by being positioned with the strong side down which causes them to relax and not overcompensate by biting on the breast.   This has helped amazingly in my practice when I have seen these babies.  My digital oral assessment also includes bite strength because of this info.