Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:18:19 -0800
Sorry to be off topic, but I thought maybe someone here might be able to
assist and also thought you all might want an update on Lexie.

It is now over a year since Lexie's accident.  She has healed very well,
well beyond what anyone expected.  Her bone is "perfectly knit"
according to the doctor, and to be honest, if I were looking at the
xray, I would be hard pressed to tell there had ever been a break.
There is no obvious white line.  The bone is not dying, it is doing
wonderful.  The doctor says that there is no reason, after her next
surgery, that she can't recover to 100%, to what she was before the
accident.  This is such great news, because if you remember Lexie had
less than a 10% chance of this type of recovery.  I cry as I type this
because it's just so miraculous.  She is such a strong girl and I am
proud of her.

In two weeks she returns to the OR to have the three large pins removed
from her femur.  They are in at a slant, and are quite long, I'd say
five inches.  When removed, there will be holes in her leg.  Here is my
question.  I asked the doctor if there was something we could put into
place, like a liquid that would harden and stabilize the leg as the body
is healing.  It seems to me that years ago I read something about a
trial where some slush like component was being put into bone and as the
body healed the body would absorb the component and get rid of it.  I
really can't remember any more details except that it seemed to me it
was after surgery for cancer or something, when a part of a bone was
removed, maybe.  It would be something that would be like the caulking
that we use in the bathroom, but obviously would be made of different
ingredients, possibly calcium and phosphorus.  Anyway, has anyone heard
of anything like this?  Maybe with all of the collective knowledge on
this list someone has heard of something or knows someone. I've done
hours of googling, but either I'm not coming up with the right set of
words to search by or--I don't know, I'm coming up empty.

Because the bone will be weak until it heals and fills in the holes or
gaps by itself, the six to eight weeks after the surgery Lexie will have
to stay off her leg, using a wheel chair or walker to get around.  It
almost feels like we are returning to last year.  After the initial time
period of no weight, she will have to work up slowly again to full
weight, which will take months.  It is hopeful that by July she will be
cleared to run, as she wants to play soccer again.  This year we plan on
hiring her a private goalie tutor or coach or whatever, as she really
missed playing goalie this last year, and she wants to make sure she
gets an opportunity to play this year.  Part of me wants to be just
pleased she is playing soccer, but I'm so glad she's motivated because
that will help her through the hard times, over the next months, to
attain her goal.  I'm thinking that if we can find something to insert
into the bone to help it be more stable, that those early weeks will not
be so worrisome.  Her leg will be so fragile those first six to ten
weeks, and could break again easily, with holes in them.

Thank you for all your support.  You can email me privately if you know
of something.  ([log in to unmask])

Joylyn