From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:33:41 -0400
Well -  the "baby" wouldn't have to tell nurses all of these basics if they
already knew and respected the basics (no formula, water, pacifiers;  feed
frequently at my pace, as long as I want etc).  The nurses need to examine
why the "baby" feels s/he  needs to remind the nurse of these facts.  Is it
because the nurse tends to give water, formula, pacifiers, tell mom to feed
every x # of hours for x # of minutes????  Sounds like the nurses "feel
guilty".  They can only feel  guilty if they are doing these practices and
really know deep down that they shouldn't!  Jack Newman says about guilt -
"it is an argument which deflects attention from the lack of knowledge and
understanding of most health professionals about breastfeeding.  This
allows them not to feel guilty for their ignorance of how to help women
overcome difficulties with breastfeeding, which could have been overcome
and usually could have been prevented in the first place if mothers were
not so undermined in their attempts to breastfeed."
It seems to me that this is how the nurses are finding fault with the card,
the fault isn't with the card, but with their common practices.  I guess I
say "own the problem".  As a nurse if I help mom with all those things on
the card then the card won't offend me!
I think I would pass out "How To Tell a Health Professional Is NOT
Supportive of Breastfeeding, #18 - Jack Newman's handout.
 Sorry this is so convoluted.
Sincerely. Pat in SNJ