From:
Judi Hammett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:19:37 -0800
>Although he has some motor development problems (wears plastic
>braces on feet),  a "Speech Therapist" evaluated his speech as above normal
>for his age.  However, an "Occupational Therapist" advised mom to WEAN AS SOON
>AS POSSIBLE because the fat pads which develop in the baby's cheeks will very
>negatively affect his speech development.

I'm not sure what the OT is talking about. I don't claim to be an expert,
but everything I've ever read suggests that breastfeeding aids in proper
oral development. ( In fact, I have had OTs say that they think my child
would have more oral motor problems if she had not been breastfed) What
does she mean by "fat pads"?  Does the child happen to have low muscle
tone? Maybe he just has fat cheeks because of that.

If I were this mother, I would ask the OT for some written documentation
about this.  Either she misunderstood what she heard at that conference, or
whoever she heard didn't know what they were talking about.  It sounds like
they are assuming that nursing to age 3 is abnormal, and are looking for
problems caused by it.

Judi
LLLL

Judi Hammett