From:
Helen Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:40:19 -0000
I remember first hearing about   the cross cradle hold many years ago, but
under the  name of  a particular midwife's  'never fail'  way of helping a
new mum latch a baby.  Nearly  20 years down the line,  same hospital uses
it  routinely  I understand, and they   don't have  sore nipples at he
newborn  stage, but they do  a few weeks down the line when  the baby has
grown and got heavier and  they are still doing it the same.  And mums can
get  wrist problems.  Locally it is a way  shown at some of the
breastfeeding  drop ins, and occasionally when talking to  a mum with an
older baby she'll talk about    ways of supporting his weight, it often
turns out that she is  still doing it with a big heavy baby. So it's useful
to know the problems  that can  happen down the  line.  I've known mums do
it  that way for  maybe a year,  they  don't have the courage to change the
way as it works
 If you do as some helpers do and once the babe is latched on comfortably,
have the mum slip her  other arm round   so it's now the  cradle hold and
explains that it is just a way to   enjoy a painfree feed, not what she must
do for ever and a day,   she gets to see how  the baby should look when she
next tries latching  in the cradle hold.  For most mums this is not with the
baby in the crook of the  elbow,  at least in eh early months and  she can
do differently another time

Helen
England

Pam said:  "The bottom line, if I am seeing a mom, something is wrong."