From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2013 17:37:57 +1000
Pat, what are this mother's breast like? Are they widely spaced, i.e. a gap
between the actual glandular tissue? Do they have a narrow base? Is most of
the glandular tissue contained in the areola?  Breast development during the
rpregnancy - none / minimal / normal? Any medical diagnosis that might have
a bearing?

It may be reassuring for this mother to know that, even when mothers have
maximised the supply but still need to give more calories, the baby can
continue to feed at breast for as long as they both want. Initially this
might be with a supplemental tube device to deliver supplement while feeding
at the breast. Eventually the child keeps pulling at the tube and cannot be
distracted any more. At this stage the mother may then want to use a bottle
for supplements and offer the breast ad lib at night. A mother who gave me
open permission to share her story had very little glandular tissue, but she
mmaximised her yield. She felt encouraged by observing that some of the
baby's stools were classic breastfed ones. Some of her babies continued at
the breast till they were 2 or 4 years old. She and her kids gained breast
satisfaction from this.

Virginia,
in Brisbane, QLD
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat Bucknell wrote:
I'm working with one of those moms who is doing everything she can to
increase her milk supply. The've helped some, but baby needs 1/2 or more
total calories from formula. Mom is mid-30s, hears her biological clock
ticking, & is hoping to get pregnant again next September. This first baby
is now 3 mos. old.

Her question "is there anything more she can do now to try to maximize a
better supply next time"?
She was thrilled when I asked if I could post to Lactnet. Any words of
wisdom?