From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 16:58:42 -0900
Hi, all. As a gen-you-wine computer-ignorant, some of the messages about
Medline have left me confused, and I thought I knew Medline! Are there
different versions? My med library gave me "basic guidelines" to *their*
version, which I'll try to abbreviate for you guys.
When I first call it, I get a menu which offers a choice among time spans
to do the search: 1983-1989, 1990-1994, and 1995 (current year). The
space bar selects the time-span and return brings you to a screen which
asks you what to find. *Everything in a search depends on your choice of
key words*. You want to be specific enough (or be swamped), but not too
specific (and miss something). Be imaginative. I think I get best results
with combining key words. Sometimes I combine key word with authors's
name. There is also "free text".
*searching through the thesaurus* [F9] If you can define your subject
with a keyword that appears in the Thesaurus the best choice is to search
through the Thesaurus. Press [F9] to bring up the Thesaurus prompt. Type
in the keyword, example "lung" and <ENTER>. Refine your selection if
necessary, by using the arrows to move the cursor to the desired term
(ex: lung diseases). Hitting <ENTER> will execute the search on the
chosen term. Press [E] to "explode" your term, thus retrieving all the
subjects appearing under it, or [S] to retrieve only the articles indexed
under the term you chose. Choose either all subheadings (ALL) or select
one of them (ex: diagnosis) or more by moving the cursor, then pressing
<ENTER>. Choose between the options appearing at the Menu: B: brings you
one stip back, in case you made a mistake, S: will execute the search.
The number which appears to the left of the keyword at the end of the
process is the number of articles indexed under this subject.

If I were looking for thrush following mastitis, I would "Find" (1)
breastfeeding, (2) mastitis, (3) candidiasis, (4) #1 and #2 and #3. The
computer combs and combines and in the end, next to (4) you will get a
number. Hit F4 to get these abstracts with full references on the screen.
Follow instructions for printing and voila.

If you want to limit the search to English articles only, add "and
English in LA" after typing in the "find". If you want to search only
certain age limits:
Newborn (birth to 1 mo), Infant (1 mo to 23 mo), Child (2-12 yr),
Adolescence (13-18 yrs). Example #1 diabetes and newborn

Searching for an author or journal: use Index - press [F5]. Move cursor with
arrows, select with spacebar, <ENTER> gets you to Find.

It's not very difficult, you computer whizzes who discuss things that fly
far above my head can figure this out 1,2,3. Have fun! and hope this
helps.
Judy K., who promised the soldier-son to make chocolate pudding cake
and better get a move on home! See you tomorrow!