From:
gisele laviolle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 10:58:18 EST
To everyone on Lactnet

I have been on Lactnet for a week now ,reading and saving all these very
interesting posts. So now I jump in!
I think I am the first one on Lactnet from France . I have been an LLL leader
for 15 years and an IBCLC since 87. I live in a suburb of Paris .  I have been
and am still very much involved in creating and implementing the Continuing
Education department for Health Profesionnals in LLLfrance. I have also worked
with UNICEF for the implementation of BFHI in French-speaking developing
countries.
I would appreciate receiving some information on how BFHI is doing in
industrialised countries .

 France is very backwards in the whole process . We ( a number of "activists"
from mothers'support groups and Ibfan  and a few health professionals) haven't
been able to get any health authority interested , we get  some  support from
the French Committee for UNICEF but most of its members see their role only for
developing countries and resent doing something in France.Meanwhile the
situation of breastfeeding in France is a near catastrophy,with only 43%
initiation at birth and no  reliable statistics afterwards . But there are some
bright spots ,Mothers support groups are thriving, and we have a great demand
for training from maternity wards and hospitals .

If any of you have experience getting health authorities or National Committees
for UNICEF involved in the BFHI process I would appreciate their input perhaps
on private Email as this may not be of interest to everybody. Thanks

Gisele Laviolle [log in to unmask]