From:
lisa mooney RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:47:23 EDT
Lizabeth, tis a shame but I see this all the time in the two hospitals I have
worked for. One of them has applied for Baby Friendly status, they are eons
away from that. It is very important for that mom to have as much skin to
skin and breast and nipple stimulation as  possible within the first 24 hours
of birth. According to Ruth Lawerence, with a woman's first pregnancy, the
stimulus of the baby's mouth on the nipple causes prolactin receptors to
develop, so that the circulating prolactin has a place to initiate it's milk
producing action. A pump is sub standard at providing this stimulation. I
would check her history , just to make sure she does not have breast
trauma/surgery or endocrine history that would impair her milk supply. I
worked with a woman a month ago who was separated from her 36 weeks gest.
baby for 6 days and not allowed any skin to skin, and only pumped once. I
told her what she needed to do on a friday, was off the weekend, since my
hospital has only one LC, me.... and she failed to keep her f/u appt with me
the next week. Two weeks later she popped by my office and had a question
about her baby's feeding schedule. Seemed she was eating every hour. This
baby was a peanut, 4 lbs 10 oz at birth, gaining beautifully as mom was
demand feeding. I helped her fix her latch, it was shallow and baby was
pausing frequently after this, as Jack would say. I gave her a lot of
positive reinforcement and congrats as  I was so shocked, as she did this by
herself. Amazing how breastfeeding could be if more women trusted their
instincts. Lisa Mooney RN BSN, patiently awaiting for the tuesday mail.....