Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:21:13 -0500
Have mother lay down and place undressed baby on her bare chest just below nipples or breast (like Kangarooing or skin to skin care).
Allow the infant to use the stepping crawling reflex and to root around and look for the nipples.
The baby can be supported but avoid placing the baby
on the breast and latching him.  He has to find the nipple and self-attach.

He might fuss or even cry.  Stop if he gets too frustrated.
While you can feed him once he attaches its not the point of the exercise. The point is to get him to open his mouth and extend his
tongue and to suckle correctly.  That is why, I often recommend doing this when the baby is not hungry or is only
showing very early signs of hunger.

THis works even better in the bathtub.  Use a pitcher of water and a wash cloth to keep baby warm.   Place wash cloth on baby's back and pour warm water on back when it becomes cool.

Although it took my daughter about 7-8 baths before she consistently suckled correctly, she did latch correctly with the first bath.  I find that this reflexive behavior begins to fade in the 3-4th month.

I use this in my workplace as well and I am always amazed at how effective this
technique and its rare that it doesn't help.  Chris

Christine M. Betzold NP CLC MSN

www.theBFclinic.com