From:
Eric Micah Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:58:16 -0800
Yep,  ya'll heard right.
    A bili level was done prior to discharge on a 8lb10oz infant who had a
difficult delivery.  The physician said "to be on the safe side"......He
ordered cont. bili lights and for mom to pump and dump.  (a phrase that
just breaks my heart) and formula feed for 24 hours.
   When requested a SNS be used he first asked "What is that?" and then
said no.  Due to some enzyme/ingredient in some mom's breastmilk that will
cause an infant's bili level to rise.  Any clue as to what this is?  This
is the second time I have heard this and I would really like to research
it.   The first time I heard this a patient told me she had to quit because
her physician told her that her breastmilk had a poison in it that made the
baby yellow. (Yes I followed up on this and that was what the patient was
told).

Does anyone think that Jack Newman MD FRCPC would consider moving to
Oklahoma?

    Thank you for all you help,
     Paula Hancock RN