From:
Alysha Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:31:45 -0100
Arly and Lee wrote the following:

> -----------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:52:03 -0800
> From:    Arly <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: LACTNET Digest - 22 Jan 2009 - Special issue (#2009-68)

> How about:  Mom does not want to?  Some women think it is ridiculous and
> inconvenient to spend the time doing StS, just as it is "inconvenient" for
> them to give birth vaginally.
>
> While this is not exactly what I was looking for. as I was seeking reasons
> from the hospital administration's point of view, it does bring up the
> age-old question: Does a baby have a human right to be held when it has a
> real and overwhelming need, even if the adults around it find this
> inconvenient? If this truly reduces the baby's quality of life, not just in
> the  moment, but for a lifetime, does that outweigh the desires or
> convenience of autonomous adults responsible for its care?
>

> Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC

But this is the result of societies filled with people who believe that they
as the individuals are the most important. Pregnancy, birth, motherhood,
child-rearing (and breastfeeding) are consequently not valued as sacred or
of first importance because they do not primarily promote or value the
"self." I see this even in many peoples' dogged determination that life does
not begin until birth, regardless of scientific data, photography, etc. And
so, if life is only just beginning at birth, and the mother is the most
important piece of the equation, she can easily say that, "No, my will
before thine (the baby's) be done." Until the side groups who believe that
motherhood is about dying to oneself (and through that finding more joy and
peace and purpose in life) become the majority, we will continue to see the
attitude that Lee described.

Just my immediate and humble opinion.

Warmly,
Alysha
MOM and breastfeeding support group leader at Lajes AFB in the extremely
windy and beautiful Azores