From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 19:23:25 -0600
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:48:30 -0400, Anne Nans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Is it true that perfume toxins (dyes, preservatives, etc) could not get into breastmilk?  Skin is the largest organ and the job of skin is to protect, secrete, and absorb.  How difficult would it be for these toxins to get into a mother's milk.  I subscribe to a holistic lifestyle and it includes natural lotions and cleaning products (pure cocoa butter, shea butter, castille soap for laundry).  I would think that a toxin absorbed into the skin would have a better chance of getting into breastmilk than something ingested.

Anne, of course it could get into breastmilk, just as any
medicattions, herbs, alcohol, vitamins, etc could get into breastmilk,
but for most people, it really isn't an issue.  To make a statement
like, "I had to use something free of perfumes *because* I was
breastfeeding" adds another "rule" to breastfeeding and could make
breastfeeding seem that much more difficult for an average woman who
enjoys wearing perfume and using other scented products.  That is the
objectionable thing about the woman on Oprah, IMO.     Furthermore,
the "dose" would be quite small.

I love perfume and scented products as do many people.  Imagine being
told you couldn't wear them and breastfeed?  Furthermore, if perfume
exposure  is a great concern, anyone with a baby, especially a formula
fed baby with more unknowns going into her body, should forgo wearing
perfume.  Unless the baby is never held.  :-((  After all, contact
with my perfume may rub off on my babies- in fact, I know it does
since I've smelled it on them, just as I smell my husband on them in
the morning when they've been snuggling in bed together.

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html
  Mom to Ursula (9), Sage (7), Benno (3)

I need these cereal bowls!
<http://www.matchyourchina.com/chinadetail.php?id=1170>  Do you have
some to sell me or donate to a .... daughter who breaks them?