From:
The Shillings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:02:31 -0600
Generally I agree with Linda's "rant" about the best way to prepare to be
the best lc possible is to work with real babies and real moms and real
problems and normal breastfeeding.  But preparing for the exam is different
than preparing to be an effective lc, in my mind.

When I wrote the exam I felt very challenged by looking at the slides on
the wall and interpreting what I saw in two dimension without the benefit
of talking to the mom or observing the baby.  I think looking at pictures
and figuring out what may be going on is a much different skill than what
one learns in the "real ala 3-D world."  I can understand why future test
takers would want to practice this two dimensional approach - not to be
better lcs but to be better test takers.

Just my .02 worth.

Teri Shilling, MS, IBCLC, CD, LCCE
mailto: [log in to unmask]