From:
Kylie Short <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:46:19 EDT
Hi everyone,
                      I've been lurking for a while since my last post and
finally worked
out how to access the archives.-What a resource! But what a case I have at the
moment!
             I'm dealing with a mum at the moment with severe nipple and breast
pain.
The pain was so severe while the baby was at the breast  that she felt she
couldn't
keep feeding .She is now pumping.The baby was 4 wks early and is now 9 wks.
The pain started immediately.She has lots of episodes of blanching.The pain at
the moment happens while pumping -starts at the nipple and radiates through the
breast to the back.She had a history of vaginal thrush throughout pregnancy and
antibiotics for strep B at delivery.Of course it's  thrush you all say.But  she
has used
Diflucan for two weeks 100 mgs a day.Stuck well to an anticandida diet -The baby
was treated as well.Was using Nilstat Cream topically on her nipples but after a
week of that she tried Daktarin gel.No improvement.Her nipples if anything were
getting redder,so I suggested no creams,and just a vinegar rinse.She was also
taking Megadophilus.When I last looked at her nipples they appeared red,lots of
natural fissures that seem to have yellowy  white "stuff" in them.The mother
also
had a history of Vertiginous Migraine-I don't know this problem but it appears
it
can cause periphery shut down-   like Reynaulds ?It was treated with a calcium
channel blocker until she fell pregnant.
      I feel there is more to this pain  than just thrush.The local doctors have
thrown it back in my lap,but I have many constraints as I'm only a lay
counsellor not a LC.Is it bacterial?Blanching?Residual nerve damage from  a bad
latch?The baby does have big problems with a dysfunctional suck and even chokes
on a habermann (on slow)
     So has anyone any ideas for me?

        Thanks, Chris Short
        NMAA counsellor Sydney Australia.