From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:50:19 -0500
Chris Hafner-Eaton wrote:

> Kathy:  Oh please give me a break...did it really say that?

Oh yes, it really said that.  I cut and pasted that paragraph from the
Washington Post web page.

What really bugged me was the reporter's poor interpretation of the
sentence "when you look at some of the nutrients in breastmilk, they're
present in very low levels".

He assumed that to mean that there weren't enough nutrients.

Also, the ped is quoted as saying "It's possible the baby got those
[nutrients] from crawling around in the dirt".  What does that mean?
The baby got the iron from the grubby floor?  The reporter snipped part
of the ped's quote so that sentence appears to be out of context from
what the doctor meant.

Here is another gem from the article...

"There are lots of variables that will explain why a group of infants
who are breast-fed may have an advantage over a group that is
formula-fed," said Sheila Innis, a professor of pediatrics at the
University of British Columbia. Even the best efforts to statistically
eliminate such variables may be insufficient, researchers said. For
instance, they said it may be not breast milk that accounts for the IQ
difference but perhaps the act of breast-feeding. Innis pointed out that
"women that breast-feed tend to have a higher education and a higher
socioeconomic class."

If anyone wants the whole article and doesn't have web access, I can
email it directly.

Kathy