From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 16:34:15 -0500
I didn't realize the dental profession was removing metal amalgams,  and
that the general consensus was that it mobilized the mercury, and hence
actually exposed the patient to much higher mercury levels than by just
leaving the fillings alone.  I may be wrong,  but I believe removing these
fillings is unwise in this patient unless they're seriously decayed.
Secondly,  mobilizing heavy metals from the bone matrix using Succimer(DMSA)
in a lactating woman is foolish.   It would only expose the breastfeeding
infant to higher levels of mercury, or lead, etc..

It's probably better to leave the fillings alone,  until they need
replacement due to decay.   If that's the case,  then ask the dentist to use
extra safeguards against the absorption by  mom.   Actually,  the oral
absorption of  elemental mercury is really quite small,   0.01% and I doubt
the infant would absorb large quantities.

twhale