From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 08:57:21 +1000
To Karen Foard:
  It is difficult, perhaps unwise, to recommend a set period of skin
exposure.  There are several factors to take into account, relating to
climate and individual skin type.  I know that, where I live, anything over
7 minutes' direct sunlight exposure has been considered potentially harmful.
In Queensland, we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, partly
because of disregard of sun safety and partly becasue of a preponderance of
Celtic ancestry and the fair skins which go with it.  (See an earlier
Lactnet post of mine, in the Archives.)
   In some other climates the amount of direct exposure you suggest may be
quite appropriate.  In dark skinned families, obviously the amount of skin
exposure needed is going to be higher than for some one with red or fair
hair and fair skin.  This is an issue which probably needs consultation with
colleageus in the same region and working with similar populations, and
future research.
           Virginia
           in Brisbane