Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:54:01 -0400
Four weeks is too long to do finger feeding.  If it hasn't worked by 10 or
15 days, it's getting too long.  *Most* babies will latch on between four
and eight weeks of life, no matter how they are nursed *if the mother has an
abundant supply*.  I think it's interesting that around 2 or 3 weeks of age,
or 4 weeks, any change seems to wake the baby up to the fact that there is
more than one way to do this.  The most important thing here is not to wear
the mother out with finger feeding, and to maintain her supply.

So, I would suggest the mother express her milk and give other than finger
feeding (yes, even a bottle), or use a nipple shield (this is not using a
nipple shield at 3 days of life, note).  And then keep trying the baby.  It
helps to promise his that if he latches on she will nurse for 3 years +

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC