From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:46:11 -0500
Folks, let's all be calm about the professional versus lay counselor being
"allowed" to subscribe to Lactnet.  When we say "professional" we do not
mean "receives pay for services", not do we mean "has letters behind name".

What we mean is Lactnet is a forum for *people who are helping mothers and
their breastfeeding babies*.  It is not for those seeking personal help.
There are "legitimate" subscribers with a wide range of breastfeeding
knowledge.  There are also LOTS of "non-legitimate" subscribers out there
lurking and learning.  We're not going to kick them off for learning but
Lactnet is designed for the helpers, not the helpees.  Get the distinction?

I would urge those who are more experienced to be gentle with those who are
less experienced, and those who are less experienced to be open to receiving
the knowledge of those with more experience.

I've copied a few parts from the Welcome note that pertain to this issue.
To get the whole thing, send the command "get Lactnet welcome" to the
listserv address.

Thanks for understanding the guidelines and for ending the debate now.

Kathy
on behalf of the other list-owners

WHO ARE LACTNET SUBSCRIBERS?

LACTNET is a vehicle for sharing **professional** information regarding
lactation and case management. There are currently nearly 2500+
professionals
on LACTNET.  We welcome all Lactation professionals to Lactnet, including
lactation consultants and educators, childbirth educators, nurses, LLL
leaders, midwives, dietiticians, WIC personnel, MDs, social scientists,
etc.

WHAT IS LACTNET?

The LACTNET list is designed to promote a "marketplace of ideas" and is
aimed at promoting the FREE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION.

LACTNET is an informational discussion group for lactation consultants and
other professionals interested in lactation consulting and breastfeeding