From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 16:16:13 -0800
<<Before bashing, please educate yourself. Just wanted to inform.>>

I am informed about Military medical establishments...and I do not believe I
was bashing, but putting out what I have received as both a Veteran of the
US Navy and a wife to an active duty US Navy sailor currently and an LLL
Leader in a heavily populated military city.

Both here in San Diego and back in Portsmouth Virginia, I and many of my
co-workers received no help or very bad advice from so called Lactation
consultants, who were no more that regular nurses with a 6 hour
breastfeeding course as their training.  My working conditions as an
aircraft mechanic in a male dominated field led to some very stressful
occasions where I was forbidden to pump all day.  I did not have the luxury
of a pump room and a full time LC on staff at the major military hospital.

I pray that many military hospitals ARE changing their practices.  But here
in San Diego, I receive many calls from military wives who have received
horrible advice from the local Naval Hospital, and I have to pick up the
pieces and get them back on track. I get even more calls form moms whose
military pediatrician told them to wean, gave horrible advice as to feeding
schedules, when to start solids etc.  They have NO clue as to proper
breastfeeding argument.  I do not even want to know about all the Mom's who
are falling through the cracks, that I can't help because they don't even
know LLL exists.

So no, I am not bashing and I am informed, I have and am on the receiving
end of much of this lousy advice when I take MY kids to the military
hospital for treatment!

WarmLLLy,

Robyn Roche-Paull
LLL Leader, San Diego South Bay