Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:17:49 EDT
Kathleen Williams has brought up our conversation regarding the Avent and
Playtex exhibits at the ILCA conference. As the remarks seemed a little
disparaging of me, I wish to make it very clear that I am not on the ILCA
board and did not have any input into who exhibited at this conference. I am
not defending these companies or ILCA, but am simply stating facts. These two
companies were in compliance with the Code at this venue. They are both major
Code violators in the US, which was picked up in NABA's Code monitoring
project. Details of their Code violations appear in NABA's publication,
"Selling Out Mothers and Babies: Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes in the
USA." If people are upset about these two exhibitors then write to ILCA and
inform the Board of your displeasure with this situation.

I also find it disappointing that not one person on Lactnet has mentioned
anything about the quality of the presentations at the conference. Perhaps
nothing was learned in the many fine sessions or maybe Avent and Playtex have
distracted us from our real job of helping mothers and babies breastfeed.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA