Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 00:10:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
As an FYI- there is a booklet available for minimal charge, 5.00 available called "Code 
Essentials."  It is available via IBFAN. It places the code and relevant resolutions into one 
document.  If you are having difficult flipping thru multiple documents with each Code 
Article, you will find it helpful as it placed it all together.

I have spent the last 7 months reviewing the "Code."  I know I will be lynched for saying 
this, But "the Emperor is not wearing any clothes, and he wears a mullet too"; it is an 
outdated document that does not reflect the current culture. 

Let me say this again... The Code needs to be revised. It is outdated and does not reflect 
cultural changes women have undergone.  The mind set needs to reflect reality.

Women are not going to change their mind in their use of a bottle because of the 
packaging.  Pah- lease. A bottle is a bottle is a bottle no matter what the packaging is.  
Are we to hand out bottles and teats in brown bags in dark alleys?  Are we to only allow 
bottle and teats to be sold with prescription?   Would that make it any better? This does 
not reflect the current basic issue of misuse of bottles. Women need to be educated on 
the "how to's","careful of's", "beware of's" and not be treated as "weak-gullible-mindless-
selfish-detached"  women that need to be saved from marketing images. 

Do we follow the Code as if it is some sort of Holy Grail? Or do we look at the document 
and and see what relevance it has to the culture and THEN strategize its use to increase 
breastfeeding rates?  If it is a living document- I want to know what world does it reflect?

We are using the same illogical argument used regarding sex education in schools- "let's 
teach abstinence only, and pretend no teen will have sex and therefore,
there is no need to educate them on birth control because if you speak of birth control... 
well, you are giving them permission to have sex.  Let's pretend no one has sex until they 
are married and then we won't have to deal with it."  Is this not what we are doing with 
bottles and teets with mothers? 

I am not advocating babes be bottle fed, but I am advocating that the Code be updated to 
reflect the change in culture. Maybe instead of hiding the bottles in "brown bags," there 
should be education for those that use bottles and the Code should be specific and not 
open to extreme self serving interpretations that changes with the wind.

This is but one issue in the code that needs to be updated.  There are many others. I am 
not saying that we should get rid of the Code, but it is just a document. A document which 
really really needs to be reviewed under a clean white light before it is adopted has the 
Holy Grail of Lactation.

I know I am not alone. I'm willing to bet there is someone out there that agrees.  I am 
willing to be the one who publicly points and states- "The Emperor wears no clothes."-  

Renee Palting, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Tucson, Arizona, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2