Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 19:32:40 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Chris was talking about turn-about, women take daughters to work; men take sons into the home.  Actually, I think moms and dads should take children of both sexes to each of their jobs.  

I carry vividly in my mind a scene from my son's preschool, 21 years ago.  David and his best friend Jakie were both only children of separated parents.  They also each spent half-time with their dads, on about a three-week at a time basis.  The pre-school had a playhouse large enough for several kids of that size (4 yrs. old) to be inside at once.  And this is the role-play I was  privileged to observe: 

David and Jakie were both in the playhouse, feeding dolls their breakfasts in highchairs, cleaning the kitchen, and talking to their babies, saying we have to hurry up now and go to work, but we'll have good playtime when we get home.  The baby sitter will take good care of you while we're gone.  Each kissed his doll, then came tearing out of their house, derringers drawn.  They were Federal Agents making a bust!!  If that doesn't run the gamut of behavior from extreme nurture to macho nature, I don't know what does.  (And no, none of the parents were involved with the police, we had a carpenter/builder dad and
an import house manager dad.  We moms were  both students)

We have had threads before discussing the ways to help boys with the nurturing side of their nature, giving them dolls, etc.  But basically, I think they will grow up and treat others as they were treated.  If they were nurtured, they will nurture.  If they were expected to clean house as kids, along with the girls and their dads, then they will continue to share in the household as adults.

Sincerely, Chanita

ATOM RSS1 RSS2