Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:38:37 -0500
At 07:29 PM 8/23/02 -0400, you wrote:
>OK, so what foods contain DHA & ARA?  Pat in SNJ

I just finished reading a book on omega 3 fatty acids (Don't ask...)and
there is no mention of ARA. The omega 3's are LNA, EPA and DHA. I re-read
the chapter entitled "The Fatty Acid Primer" and couldn't find ARA
mentioned. Someone else on this list may know what it is but I don't.

The line that gave me a chuckle is:

...contains DHA and ARA -- important building blocks of a baby's
brains and eyes that are found naturally in breast milk...

A baby's brains???!!! Is this a prediction?

Foods that are high in Omega 3 fatty acids are:

Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna (albacore and bluefin), trout, herring,
mackerel, sardines
Walnuts, Canola oil flaxseeds, green leafy vegetables.
peas and beans, particularly soy beans

The typical American diet *is* low in omega 3's and too high in omega 6's.
Meats, grains, and dairy are high in 6's (low in 3's) as are most of the
oils that Americans use, so our essential fatty acids are out of balance
and it makes a difference to our health.

Putting a "squirt" of DHA into cow's milk formula, which is high in 6's
anyway is all publicity hype.

Sadly, a mother called me a few weeks ago and said that since she stopped
pumping milk for her baby (multiple physiological problems) she was giving
her "that breastmilk formula."

I have thought of the sailic acid in human milk that we heard about in
Scottsdale from Australian researcher, Patricia McVeagh. As soon as the
formula manufacturers hear about it they will pour some of that in--coming
from who knows where.

As someone said once on Lactnet, "Pretty soon it will be the formula that
ate Cleveland."

The poor babies.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin