Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:11:14 EDT
Martha and Cindy have asked about ILCA's Standards of Practice. The new ones
will be out very shortly. They are in the final steps of being reviewed and
approved (and translated into several languages!).

Anyone can call themselves a lactation consultant. It is not a legally
protected term like IBCLC. No one can use the IBCLC after their name unless
they have passed the exam. If a person is an IBCLC and not practicing well,
then contact the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, who
have a grievance process. If a person is not IBCLC, contact the hospital
where they work and if they have letters after their name, contact the
organization that trained them.

A better approach would be to contact the person herself and discuss the
issues in a straightforward and supportive manner. Offer to share resources
and work together. We certainly have enough devisiveness within the
breastfeeding community that we do not need more!

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA