From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:54:32 -0700
>No, Monique, men have nipples and areolas, but they don't have breasts
>(glandular tissue).  At least not usually.  Some have pretty good sized fat
>deposits up there, though!
Kathy D.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with you Kathy. As the mother of 3 sons
having had contact with dozens of teen boys as a result, I am very aware
that a great many have breast enlargement take place during puberty. Enough
that it is considered routine surgery to remove the gland.  Often it is
unilateral, but I have seen several bilateral. This is clearly NOT fat
deposits. The explanation I have been given is that the glanular tissue
responds to the hormones involved in puberty.  Given time most of the
breasts reduce to less obvious dimensions but for very many teen boys it is
a source of great embarassment and they plead for surgery.  I think it is
yet another case of not understanding what normal is and fits neatly with
your work around sexualization of breasts.  Peak ages for the surgery is
beween 13 and 16 yrs.  One pediatric surgeon I was in contact with who
worked at a major pediatric hospital booked an afternoon a week solely for
this surgery.  Any of the pediatricians care to comment?
Rhoda Taylor, B.A., I.B.C.L.C., Vancouver Island, Canada

Help celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights.
                            Visit www.amnesty.ca