From:
Carrolls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 07:34:25 -0400
Someone commented on the weird cases I ALWAYS have, yes it is true. Here is
another one.
I saw a baby Friday that was at her birth-weight at 5 weeks. She was
referred by the doctor who saw her 2 hours before. Her fontannel was sucken
in and her breath smelled of ketones. The mother's nipples are "et up" with
yeast. I put an SNS on with 2 ounces of formula. The baby received 3 ounces
all together. IE: one ounce from the mom. As she was leaving... I noticed
she looked very pale..her whole body!  I asked the mom if she'd noticed it
before...she wasn't sure. I asked her to sit in the back seat with the baby
on the way home. Over the past few days she continues to see this.  Off and
on. She went to the Dr. yesterday and he didn't see it. I was afraid we
over fed her the first feeding. When they are SOOOO starved should you
limit the intake at first???  Why is the skin tone changing like that???
She gained 8 ounces over the weekend. Taking as much as 20 ounces of
formula per day.
Patti Carroll, RN, IBCLC
Atlanta, Georgia USA