From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:18:03 -0500
One thing I developed but never got the opportunity to try was a series of
cards (half-sheets), printed on different bright colors of paper and kept in
a bright (and simple) manila envelope. Each card had very simple, very basic
suggestions for different problems or concerns they were likely to encounter
in the 1st couple of weeks - engorgement, positioning, how to tell that it's
working well, normal variations, emotional ups & downs, different kinds of
babies, sore bottoms - all the same stuff we try to cover in those marathon
classes. The idea being that (and they would be specifically told this, and
reminded by the 1st card in the pack) they could pull out the one relevant
to their particular and specific concern at any given time and put it within
easy reach. Easier than a book, I think, and although the whole thing can be
as complex as you want it to be (and face it, it's a pretty complex area
from our point of view), each individual page is very simple and to the
point. So as not to overwhelm new parents, who definitely aren't as well
able to take in the written word as usual during this stage. Plus visually
clear, which enhances retention. (I know that I will forever and always have
a completely clear picture of Dr. Spock's section about babies' "periodic
irritable crying" - 23 years later, the book still falls open to that page.)

But I really like the pillow case idea - has anyone ever actually developed
one? Anyone want to buy the design if I come up with a good one? The thing
about this idea that I love so much is that what we most need to say is so
very simple, and a pillowcase really is an excellent "canvas", and pretty
cheap as these things go...you could do one with your phone # on it (as well
as the "Rules") as a promo giveaway. Or a cover for one of those ubiquitous
"nursing pillows" that so many women seem to have. Oooh, now I'm getting
excited about this!

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY