From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:24:20 +1000
The following is a few points of clarification from my posting the other
day about an LC friends client who has had a very large abscess needle
aspirated.

Thanks to Jack, Barbara, Jenny etc with their replies. Perhaps a couple of
clarification
points

1. The lump was originally pus filled abscess which was needle aspirated 4
times.

2. The mother stopped feeding on that side at that time-not by choice. The
baby
could not attach because the breast was so distorted. She, and several stafff
members tried many times to express but only a few drops came out.  {I also
tried
on our first consult and wasnt very successfull either, but only had the lower
part of the areola to work with bcause the rest was rock hard.
3. The abscess was declared to NOT be an abscess anymore because the last
needle
aspirate was sterile.
4. In the week following the final aspirate, the lump grew large again-
Surgeon
was contacted and he said that the lump was now a "lactocele" and would
eventuall
reabsorb. But he did say that he had no previous clinical experience with any
other cases like this one, but had given it a great deal of thought, and read
about it and wanted to save the mother from surgical intervention.
5. We are now 4 weeks down the track and the lump is no smaller. Does the Mum
have to wait years for reabsoption?  Wont a big ball inside her breast distort
mammary structures in her next pregnany?

Just wanted to clear that up. I am Seeing that Mum at 1pm wednesday.

Thank you again to all who can offer suggestions and help.

Denise