Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:56:12 EST
I had printed out the AP wire story to give my pediatrician.   But before I
got into her office, someone -- I have now deleted the post -- helpfully
posted the url for the original article in The Lancet.   I am so glad you did
-- thank you, whoever you are!    Of course I could have and should have just
gone and searched for it myself, but alas it would not have occurred to me to
do so.   But now I have it, and what an interesting and well-done article it
is!   It manages to combine self criticism (eg, reportiingn of possible
confounders, discussion of parts we still don't understand, etc) with a
forthright advocacy in the discussion section.   Here's the line, quite near
the end, that I highlighted for my doc:

"Finally, in a non-hypertensive population, the potential benefit of
breastfeeding is greater than the benefit, estimated in a meta-analysis, from
all other non-pharmacological means of lowering blood pressure, such as
weight loss, salt restriction, or exercise."

Wow!    Of course, it's a little tough to effect this once you are 55 and
worried about your bp.   But if we could get this across to pediatricians
now, what a good thing!

Kudos to Drs Singhal, Cole, and Lucas.   For me this is a great reminder of
why it really is almost always worth going to the article itself, and keeping
a copy of it handy.

Elisheva Urbas
bf contemplator in NYC
[I guess this means both, contemplating bf, and also contemplating while bf
:)]