From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:17:36 -0400
I'd like to add my $.02 to this discussion:  Though I must admit to feeling very
bad in the pit of my stomach everytime this discussion comes up, the truth is
that I AM proud of my IBCLC status.

I agree with nearly all that Lynette says about this profession and about non-
medical IBCLC and others who do not have *another* designation.  Recently,
I have had some real life conversations about this very topic, with the general
consensus out there being "why bother to sit for the exam...I don't need an
IBCLC to do what I am already doing."  Perhaps.  But, I think every person out
there is already working with mothers and doing so from experience and
passion SHOULD sit the exam and should proudly bear the designation of IBCLC.

Why?  Because IBLCE needs THEM!  Because the bar needs to be raised.
Because I think there needs to be more non-medical IBCLC's and non-
additional designation IBCLC's who stand up to be counted and who prove
that Lactation Consultantcy IS a stand-alone profession.

I think that IBLCE made a HUGE mistake in 'making it easier' for medical
professionals to pass the exam.  I mean no disrespect.  My reason for saying
this is also the one thing I disagree with in Lynette's post:  NOT everyone
sitting for the IBLCE exam is passionate about breastfeeding.  I'm sorry if that
sounds inflammatory - I do not mean it to.  It's just that experience has
shown me (in talking with many other IBCLC's and hcp who do breastfeeding
work) that for some hcp's, the IBCLC designation is just that:  A designation.
Not necessarily a passion or a calling.  Just an addition of education and
knowledge.  Not necessarily practice.

And please, do not get your back up!  Truth is, I am unlikely talking about
anyone here on Lactnet.  I am talking about those professionals who are NOT
on Lactnet, because if they are not *called* to this profession, why would
they hang out with those of us that are?

I think this profession, no matter how you come to it, is like any other,
teacher, doctor, carpenter: Some do it because it is their life's work and they
are fabulous at what they do, others do it because it's a job, an opportunity,
so just something they thought would be good.

Blessings!

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL
Gulf Islands, BC, Canada