Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:52:37 +0000
Hi (no criticism of the original poster, btw)
>>I well remember being under stress - my dad was dying and I was pregnant
>with >my second, had a toddler and needed to get to Puerto Rico from Chicago
>- if >anyone had told me that in order to breastfeed I would need to relax,
>I would >have quit nursing!  I KNEW I couldn't relax!!!

I nursed Alice through very severe haemolytic jaundice in NICU. For 24
hours she was unable to nurse, due to the severity of her condition and
she was maintained on IV glucose (she did not receive any formula - my
Ped says he hasn't used formula to "treat" a jaundiced baby in 20
years). Her bili levels were way off the charts and they made it clear
to me she was seriously ill. I tried to use the pump, but hate the
things, so instead I hand expressed to relieve the engorgement (it was
unfortunately the day my milk came in that Alice was rushed into
hospital). Despite being in terrible stress, I found I could easily
express milk and get a letdown. The following day, I was told to nurse
Alice as much as I could persuade her to, and although still in a highly
anxious state, test weighing showed she was getting loads of milk. I
consented to test weighing for the sake of some medical students who
were not convinced the milk was going in - she took 5.5 oz in under 5
minutes which definitely impressed them! They were most impressed by the
ease with which Alice was able to get the milk out, as they had been
taught that breastfeeding was more work for a sick baby. Basically, I
was confident in my ability to breastfeed, and don't think being under
terrible stress did any harm at all. Just MHO.
--
Anna (mummy to Emma, born 17th Jan 1995 and Alice, born 11th Sept 1996)
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web Page: http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna