From:
Rhonda Feder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:02:15 EST
A friend of mine had a baby (formula fed from day one) who was severely
allergic to cow's milk proteins and soy proteins, even the hypoallergenic
formulas.  She was fed Neocate, made by Neocate (they have a website) which
is an amino acid based formula -- all protein is broken down to amino acids,
so her baby did not have to deal with any proteins -- it worked for her --
she had been failure to thrive until they got her on this.  (Breastfeeding
was never considered by the mom.)  This formula is very expensive, I think
retailing for over $30/can -- maybe more (something tells me the hospital
pharmacy was selling it for $45/can).  Insurance has been made to pay in
other cases, but it may take several levels of appeals.

They way I understand it, cow's milk proteins and soy proteins get into mom's
milk, so if baby is allergic, mom would have to eliminate all offending
proteins from her diet.  If the baby is allergic to other proteins, I suppose
an elimination diet for mom could work, but I am not a medical professional
and would not be comfortable giving such advice when the baby is clearly
having a severe problem.  I am only relaying the info I got with my friend
her pediatric gastroenterologist when we asked these questions.  My friend
will breastfeed her next baby, so we asked the questions.

Rhond Feder
Elkins Park, PA
lawyer and lay counselor