From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:18:10 +0200
There is serious doubt about whether the 'Independent' 'Women's' 'Forum' is
any of these things, but whoever they are, they sure get it when it comes to
the damage it would do to their sponsors (giant capital) if women seriously
got behind breastfeeding in the US.  These bogus arguments were discussed
here on Lactnet in May, check the archives.
It is a threat to those who currently profit on the low breastfeeding rates
in the US, that there is a movement to limit their marketing activities.
They will use any tactic they think expedient, including calling formula a
boon to the advancement of women, to protect their economic interests, and
they couldn't care less what happens to the health of the populace.  Chances
are good that all the powerful, wealthy women listed as active members of
the IWF were able to breastfeed due to their high status in the hierarchy of
US society, and what happens to anyone not as privileged as they are, is
likely to be of no interest to them.
Several Lactnetters wrote letters to the IWF.  I don't recall seeing anyone
post that they had gotten a response, and I doubt that they did.  I am very
cynical about this group; I flat out don't believe it is anything but a
front for marketing extremist political messages to women.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway