Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:56:54 -0500
Nikki wrote:
 "Dear Friends:
  Oh what would our lactivist gadfly, ( term meant with every particle
of
 respect and appreciation) Valerie McClain have to say about this?
  Seems to me that when breastfeeding vanishes, industry will have to
come
  up with ways to make our foods do what human milk did. Except that
industry
 will be expensive and risky in ways that we can not forsee; whereas
 breastfeeding is proven to be safe and is readily accessible to all."

  Well, Nikki, I do miss Valerie's voice here very much. I ALWAYS read
her posts and I think this issue is terribly important. It is important
to everyone, not just the breastfeeding community--we are talking about
designer foods and this is a bigger issue than synthetics, artificial
ingredients--at least they don't mutate and migrate and we can avoid
them by choice. But, I also think that it is no longer true that
breastfeeding is readily accessible to all. I work with far too many
moms whose babies cannot feed. I just spent three hours tonight with a
lovely, highly motivated, bright and intuitive mom whose baby has not
fed at breast since birth. He is four weeks old and I have been working
with her for two weeks now. Baby needed CST, frenotomy, and we are
still trying to solve some significant aversive behavior. Feeding at
the breast is the natural consequence of normal birth--what is the
consequence of medicalized birth? A contrived "need" for designer
infant food, perhaps, along with a lifetime of designer foods that will
"treat" all of your artificially-acquired conditions.
 Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
 Intuitive Parenting Network LLC