From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:22:05 -0400
I enjoyed Leslie's comments about "hands-off" grandparenting> I was reminded
of something I meant to say: I think it's important to have in any
information given to family an explanation about "doing our best" Many of
today's grandparents did not BF and this can be explored in a positive way .
The new grandchild is being nursed because info is different now about the
effects of BF and ABMfeeding on families. No guilt is necessary, simply use
of current info vs. old info. All mothers do the best with the info they
have, which explains why this grandmother may see her grandchild being
parented in a different way, and this does not say anything bad, necessrily
about HER parenting. I tell people that when my father was a college athlete
he was told to eat steak and eggs before competitions,. He was a good
athlete. Now marathoners know carbos are better pre-races. My Dad did fine,
but probably would have done even better than his personal best then, if he
followed today's guidelines. He doesn't need to feel guilty, just didn't have
access to the better information. This analogy usually works well in helping
to explain different choices . It involves food, but not ABMvs BM
specifically. Judy Fram, Brooklyn, NY