From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:32:48 -0400
Peggy wrote:
>Discretion and decorum as public expectations are not out of line
with breast feeding. Many nifty covers, shawls, and tops are available
to allow the baby some privacy for feeding should it be needed in
public. Babies will adjust to the use of them, believe me. My first
son was  exclusively breast fed for the first 9 full months of his
life.He also continued to get most of his nutrition from the breast
until he was 14 months old. I went to picnics, restaurants, parks,
family gatherings, grocery stores, department stores, you name it,
with him. At no time was it necessary that I be indiscreet and expose
myself or my son to the stares of strangers. This is part of the
socialization process.<

If a woman feels more comfortable nursing under a *nifty cover,* then
by all means she should consider using one.

However, most babies do not *adjust* to the use of such covers, nor
should they have to. We certainly do not ask teenagers, for example,
or adults, to cover themselves with a blanket every time they eat in
public!

Most mothers find that with a little practice in front of a mirror,
they can nurse their babies without even the person sitting next to
them realizing what they are doing. Throwing a blanket or shawl over
their baby is a way of drawing attention to themselves, of saying,
*Hey! Don't look at me feed my baby!* and defeats the purpose.

There is no need to strip naked to nurse a baby. Wearing a two-piece
outfit, especially with a knit top, allows access while preserving
modesty. A jacket or cardigan adds further coverage, if desired.

By the way, I am confused by your concern about allowing the baby some
privacy for feeding being part of the socialization process. Isn't
eating a social occaision? When I taught my children table manners, it
did not include practicing eating alone, in the dark, or under a
cover.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC