Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:36:16 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi all,
I haven't read all the comments about tongue tie so I may be repeating or not addressing your concerns, but here is what we did at our hospital. I wrote a position paper that I gave to our Pediatric Executive Committee stating that this was a documented problem with breastfeeding and that the outcomes with frenulotomy were good with little risk. I asked them how they thought we should proceed. They decided to set up a referral system with our local Ped ENT. That was not successful because: 1. Appointments could be as far away as 4-6 weeks. 2. When they had their appointment, the ENT would tell them the baby didn't need his tongue clipped even though we presented the data that supported this need. 
So, we went back to our Pediatric Hospitalists and "begged"(I was on my knees with tears in my eyes.) them to start clipping tongues. Fortunately, we had a Peds who had had a baby with TT and had a bad experience because it was clipped very late. We had two others who also agreed to clip them. One was trained at the hospital where she was a Resident. She trained the other two. We still haven't convinced the others to do it, but they at least see the need and will refer to the others. I am collecting outcome data to present to them in 6 months.

I want to encourage you to present the research....and there is a growing body that is all positive.... and be persistent.
If anyone would like a copy of the paper I presented with the references, email me.
Good Luck!
Carol L'Esperance, Albuquerque, NM

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2