Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:55:25 -0600
I was working with an attorney who had not breastfed her first baby and who
had heard about the IQ benefits of breastfeeding.  We got things going
without pain and with some ease. She lived on my street in the next block.

Mom said, "This is NOT fun.  How long do I have to do this for optimal
brain growth?"

I (who did not know Kathy D at that time) thought, "What in the world am I
going to say here?!"

I replied, "About 3 months."

Mom, "Well maybe I can put up with it that long."

I didn't see her after that, other than to see her getting into her car or
going out to the mailbox.

Two years later there was a power outage and "everyone" poured out on to
the street and were socializing like real human beings. I saw her with her
children and she said, "Remember Alex?  He's still nursing."

Well, I tried not to look shocked, but it took my breath away.  It was
probably only a second of surprise before I said, "Oh I'm so glad that you
have enjoyed nursing him. He certainly looks like a happy, healthy little
boy."

She was just beaming...and so was I.

So you never know.

Pat Gima, IBCLC