From:
Maggie Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:29:16 EDT
I have nothing but anecdotal reasons for clinical use but here goes.

My middle child had intestinal mal-absorption problems when he was 6 weeks
old. He was hospitalized and I was ordered to pump instead of breast feed.
After 2 days more of weight loss the MD wanted me to stop pumping and  start
giving him ABM that was fortified for higher calories. My LLLL and also a  nurse
at this hospital(God Bless you Jane) suggested that they do a  creamatocrit of
my milk to detemine the actual caloric content of my milk. The  analysis found
that my body was actually producing milk that had a higher  caloric content
than the fortified formula!

The second time a creamatocrit was taken of breast milk was  (unfortunately
same child) when my son had cancer. I was lucky enough to  have a donor Mom who
was willing to pump for my son. After his surgery he was  unable to keep
anything down except breast milk. The head nurse in the hot unit  ( a nursing mom
herself) recognized the 'special milk' we were giving him and  did an analysis
of the milk as a way to 'justify' the use if anyone asked. No  one did and
our son left the unit 5 days before anyone expected him too.

Both analysis were done for the benefit of our family. I realize that these
are isolated instances but the possible uses for creamatocrits as one of  the
clinical instruments used by professionals seems evident to  me.

Peace,
Maggie Payne LLLL, Oshkosh WI

Dream Now so that your children Learn to Dream for  Tomorrow