From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:28:42 +0200
Hi all,
I am a bit behind in my reading here,
this is referring to Martha's wonderful memo to staff:
I am sure it is so useful and will help in getting staff information uniform so that everyone is handing out the same instructions.
The only thing I am wondering about is:

> How about using both breasts at every feeding?  Not necessary, and may
> even be harmful.  Research has found that babies release the breast when
> they reach satiety, which is determined by the fat content of the feeding.

I hear all too often, Moms complaints of early onset of engorgement and early incidences of Breast infections.
When asked how they are feeding their infants at each feed,
it comes to the fore that they have been instructed to use only one breast for each "meal".  This is well and good for many babies, that wake frequently and nurse all the time 24/7 but who actually knows at the start, what the babies eating habits will be?  we still see many babies who are so tired that they do everyone a favor and wake every 3 - 4 hours.  For these babies, this means that one breast is not being stimulated nearly enough (6-8 hours) and can be the cause of discomfort-fullness-engorgement and ultimately mastitis.
I explain this and try to have them encourage the baby to have his "dessert", and if nothing works, and he refuses, then to keep alert to the possible effect this may have.

what is everyone's take on this?
I apologize if this has been addressed, but as I said, it will take me a while to get thru all the digests.

ellen shein, IBCLC Tel Aviv