From:
Tom Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 09:46:16 -0600
To      : Marcella
Re      : Buspar(buspirone)

Unfortunately, there is no data on transfer of Buspar to breastmilk.  Buspar is
an anxiolytic agent which reduces anxiety on a mg to mg equivalent to Valium.
However,  most importantly,  it is not a benzodiazepine, nor is it as sedating
as Valium.  It has a rather brief half-life 2-3 hours.  Its metabolite, is
moderately active but also has a brief half-life 4.8 hrs.  Its bioavailability
is about 90% (for Buspirone) but the bioavailability of the metabolite is not
reported.   The side effect profile indicates :depression, headache, weakness,
dizziness, insomnia.

Compared to the benzodiazepine family,  this product is far less sedating, less
addicting, and probably much safer.  However, we cannot say for certain it is
safe in breastfeeding patients,  but it sure beats Valium.   The rather brief
half-life of buspirone and its metabolite would not likely predispose to a
build-up in the infants plasma,  which is fortunate.

I'm sorry we have so little data on this product.

Regards
Tom Hale