From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:57:16 -0400
Check out this article from the folks at Johns Hopkins:
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH?t=4461&p=~br,IHW|~st,408|~r,WSIHW000|~b
,*|

According to this, I've been depriving my daughter for 2.5 years with my
inadequate diet (I keep forgetting to drink that quart of milk):

"If you're breast-feeding, you need about 2,700 calories per day to ensure
enough fuel for successful lactation. Additional calorie requirements will
be partially met by fat stored during pregnancy. To get all the nutrients
you need, here's what you should have each day:
At least 1 quart of milk
6 pieces of fruit or servings of vegetables
3 servings of bread, cereal or pasta
1 or 2 4-ounce servings of meat, fish or poultry
About 64-ounce of water or fruit juice--what you'll get in 8 regular-sized
glasses.

They go on to say that "Whether you're breast-feeding or using formula, your
baby is getting approximately the same distribution of calories: Between 10
and 15 percent come from proteins, 35 to 45 percent come from fats, and 45
to 55 percent come from carbohydrates." (Hmm, thinks new mom, my baby will
get the same distribution of calories if I formula feed *and* I won't have
to drink a quart of milk each day and follow all these other requirements!)

If you think this is dangerous misinformation, please send comments to

Janice Berry
Mother, editorial consultant, and lay BF counselor
Westerville, OH