Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:22:18 +0000
>HI, Heather -
>
>"But why on earth would we trust the formula industry to answer this need?"
>
>Well, of course we don't trust the formula industry! I don't even trust the
>medical profession, let alone formula manufacturers! Please, whattaya take
>me for?

I know you don't trust them, really, Cathy!

>I guess what I meant was assuming that the formula manufacturers make claims
>x,y,and z, and the scientists worldwide have a go at it, and so do the
>breastfeeding watchdogs and the medical people, and everybody examines and
>debates and comes up with parameters for what is & isn't safe, do-able,
>beneficial, etc.

But my point is that none of this happens, or is ever likely to.
Formula manufacturers make claims....and then what? The scientists
worldwide have a go at it? Do they? Where? Your US FDA is being a lot
more cautious than the UK watchdogs about (for example) DHA (which is
available in formula in the UK) , but I don't see many independent
scientists really and truly challenging claims. How can the
breastfeeding watchdogs do anything but ask questions - we don't have
the resources or money to do anything else, and I bet most of us
would rather spend the time supporting mothers than running RCTs.

There is no way for independents to know what formulations are safe,
do-able, beneficial etc.

>"But how, without resorting to the sort of interventionist economics
>most of the  West has consistently rejected, could you price-fix in
>this way?"
>
>No, no - again, I was in Theoretical-Land!

Well, I know : ) I was in here-and-now land, that's all!

>I get your points, and excellent points they are, too. But please don't
>think I am advocating trusting formula manufacturers! That really cuts
>deeply!
>
>Cathy B.

Aw, sorry, Cathy. I think I should have chosen my words
better....what I should have said was 'how can we *expect* formula
manufacturers to come up with anything better ever, when their bottom
line is profit? It's like soap powder - each year's 'new' formulation
is 'better' than last year's.'

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne