From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:55:50 +0100
The intensity of the last couple of days' posts on genetically engineered
components of breast milk is a good sign that this topic is important.

Valerie, I read your posts and they challenge me and I appreciate that.  I
appreciate Lactnet's challenges very much.  I also appreciate the tone of
discussions on Lactnet, which seem to be modeled on breastmilk: nurturing,
warm, protective, responsive, anti-inflammatory and promoting healthy
development.

For some reason there is a more strident tone than usual in several recent
posts on this thread.  What are we afraid of?  That we will need to revise
our own assumptions?  That we will come to regret some previous act in light
of later knowledge?  That someone else said it first?  That not all of what
Valerie says is true?
If there is no truth in the cases Valerie has brought up, we have nothing to
fear in this forum, truth-seeking as it is.  If there is truth in it, we
should fear continued ignorance far more.

Writing, as always, from my feelings, I can say that I feel profoundly
offended by the notion that any person could patent a component of breast
milk with an eye to making a profit on it.  In my simple world view, patents
are for inventions, to be taken out by the inventor.  I definitely do not
want to see a discussion on Lactnet on who that is, as I believe each of us
has the right to give that credit where she feels it is due without regard
to what others believe.

Rachel Myr, midwife, editor, IBCLC
Kristiansand, Norway
enjoying real stormy weather but wanting Lactnet to be spared the virtual
whirlwind